Wednesday, August 21, 2013

California Dreamin'

I left my heart in California.  I moved there for a year and a half or so after college graduation and it has been, and I believe always will be, one of the best chapters of my life.

I came into my own there. I made the decision to move out West without a job lined up (luckily I landed one before the big move actually happened). I somehow talked my best friend into doing it with me. We moved out not knowing where we would live (we are forever indebted to my cousin's family for the futon in the spare, closet-less bedroom). We finally moved into a place after a few months and for the first month there we lived off of cheese quesadillas, she slept on the chaise and I slept on the love seat (purchased from a cousin's neighbor both for $250). After the first month, we had saved enough money to eventually get real beds. And then furniture. And then decor. And finally, after a solid six months we had made our sunny, perfect apartment in the Valley a home. All on our own. No driving fifteen minutes home and taking our furniture from our childhood room. This was ours - our hard work had finally paid off. Would it have been nice to move into a place and have it be perfect in a week's time? Yes. But would it have meant as much as this did? No. There's something to be said for the feeling of accomplishment that money can't buy. Life lesson learned.

I started my new, real world job not knowing anything about the industry or anyone at the office. I miss that feeling of excitement and anticipation..the process of independently discovering something new, something unknown. I learned the industry, caught on quick to my job and loved every minute of it (even the hour & a half commute -- I honestly miss it!).  I loved everyone in the office and on the crew and we actually had fun at work. I particularly bonded with Katie and we started hanging out - she introduced me to her friends which was such a blessing being new to the city. To this day she is still one of my closest friends, as are many of the girls I met through her. I love that 5 years after moving back to Ohio, I can still call them up, even if it has been months since our past conversation, and pick right up where we left off. 

Before Chanda & I moved back, we took a two week road trip around California. I guarantee it will remain one of the best trips of my entire life. We were so free, with not a care in the world. We tried new things, saw beautiful places and made memories that I will forever cherish. It was incredibly liberating.

When I let my mind wander to my life in California, I am reminded of all of these life changing experiences, people and memories and my heart just bursts with love and misses it desperately at the same time. I am reminded of how I felt when I was there and I realize it was my happiest time. I'm on a whole different level when I'm out there, I'm the most me when I'm out there. That's my center. 

It's been two long years since I've been there and I'm finally going back in one more day! I can hardly wait!! I'm a bit in disbelief. My week is chock full of catching up with my girl friends and quality time with my family. Grabbing drinks, catching shows, laying out, going hiking...for ten days it will be just like I'm living back there again (and I know I will not want to leave). It feels surreal that I'll finally be back, my heart will be home in just two more sleeps. I just might have to pinch myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS