Friday, September 6, 2013

Perspective

I'm only a day into my vacation and I've already had humbling moments of perspective. 

Yesterday I was sitting on the runway forty-five minutes after my flight was supposed to leave when we learned we were twelfth in line for take off and it would be another twenty minutes. We were going to have more time involved at the airport than the trip was long (Vegas to LA -- about an hour in the air).  

made friends with the girl beside me. We had a lot in common and I knew that this flight would be the extent of our relationship but already appreciated the brief connection. We started talking about the Louis C.K. bit about flying. Here we were about to complain about sitting on the runway when we were about to fly. Sitting in a chair. In the sky. Flying. Which takes such a short period of time compared to other means of travel. We talked about how crazed the people in the traffic control tower must be with twenty planes lined up and waiting to take off. And here we were sitting in an airplane, waiting to be able to cash in our drink vouchers, looking at the Vegas skyline. Suddenly a slight delay, during which I made a new friend, did not bother me at all. I felt calm, happy, relaxed -- thankful for the opportunity to soak in a beautiful moment. 

Another moment of perspective came at my younger cousin's first soccer game of the season. Some kids on the team were pretty good and had clearly played before. My cousin on the other hand was new to the team. I would have been so intimidated but he went out there and didn't seem overly nervous. The spectators were getting so into it and with every goal our team made, we wanted another one. Soon after my cousin subbed in, they came to the sidelines for a water break. Upon walking off the field my cousin declared "That was so much fun!"  He didn't even know the score of the game. I loved the reminder that we put so much pressure on kids to win, and not enough emphasis on having fun. Childhood, a time for no worries, lasts for such a short period of time, we need to let them savor it, teach them to savor it. Take a lesson from them that no matter what, you gotta have fun. Success is important, but so is how you play the game. In the end, no one (at least no one with any substance) cares how much money you made or if you were the absolute best. What does matter is that you were kind and had fun along the way. 

So much of our life is determined by our outlook. A shift in perspective is so good for the soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS