Sunday, September 29, 2013

ROOTS.

{be faithful to your roots -- they are the foundation of your existence and the secret to your successes}

Thursday I got together with my first best friends, Suzy & Elaine. Elaine and I have known each other since Kindergarten, Suzy joined us in middle school. We were inseparable and have shared so many memories and laughs. I definitely couldn't imagine my life without them. We all went to different high schools and even more distance grew as we went on to college. We've sparingly gotten together and bumped into each other along the way but finally made plans this past week. It was amazing -- we picked up right where we left off. We caught up on each other's lives, we reminisced…we laughed so hard my face hurt. I love these girls, they're like family to me and I knew that's a bond we'll always share. But reconnecting this week just made my heart so happy. Now that we are all back and settled in Columbus, I am looking forward to making this a more frequent occasion.


On Friday, three of my best friends from college and I had a slumber party. There is a 5th member of our group who lives out of state so she unfortunately couldn't be there with us. We missed her dearly but she was there in spirit AND we have a November trip planned to see her :) It may seem odd for a group of 28 year old women, two of whom are married, to have a slumber party…but we don't care! It was the best, and much needed! Not to mention hard to plan -- we picked this date back in June. It took three months for us to all have a Friday night available. {life is far too busy} We made dinner, had a couple drinks, made cookies and stayed up talking in our pj's until 3am!!! It was a perfect night and so, so fun.

Saturday morning, I got up and went to Capital's homecoming only so I would get to see my Zeta sisters. My sorority had such an impact on my college experience and the sisterhood I share with such wonderful women is something I can't explain to people on the outside. Choosing to join Zeta will always be one of the best decisions I've ever made. And, like the cases above, life gets in the way of staying in touch. People move, they juggle family, friends, careers…it gets hard to stay connected. Our Zetas have a pretty solid, unified base so we stay in touch as best as we can, even if it is mostly through the grapevine of Facebook. That's why homecoming is such a special occasion, it is so rare to all be reunited. 


My heart feels refreshed after these past few days of renewed relationships. It was good to get back to my roots, back to a place that feels like home. Between my family, and my LA home, my original best friends, my soul sisters, my sorority sisters…I feel reminded of how blessed I am to have all of these amazing women in my life that I know will always be there. In looking forward on where we are going, it is important to remember where we came from, what makes us who we are, and who was there with us along the way.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS