Monday, September 30, 2013

Ode to Grampa

A local magazine advertised an essay contest with the theme "Memories of your favorite Veteran" to be featured in their November issue in honor of Veteran's Day on November 11th.

I knew I had to submit something in memory of my Grampa. My grampa was one of the most important and influential people in my life and I miss him every day. There are so many times when I wish I could tell him something, share with him what is new in my life, or get his advice. I miss having him a mile away where I could walk in his door and hear his voice.

My grandma, his wife, was very special to me and I have so much of her in me (my mom often calls me "Little Betty") and I am so proud of that. She was a strong woman, a bit of a spitfire, and I'm so glad to carry her on a bit within my own personality. And, of course, she'll always live on in my memories and in my heart. But my grampa & I really had something special. Maybe it's because I had more years with him so we were able to become closer and create more memories. Or maybe it was because we are very similar, old souls. I feel that. I know it's something we share. My grampa's death really hit me hard and that day still lives with me. I got to tell my grandma good-bye; I got to hear her say "I love you" one more time. I had closure. I have never had that with my grampa. 



I'm sharing with you the essay I wrote for the magazine contest..an Ode to my Grampa, a World War II Veteran:

My grandfather will forever be one of the most important people in my life.  The memories that stand out the most to me are the little moments. The small things that turned out to have the largest impact, as is commonly the case.

I remember him to be a family man, generous and giving, protective, wanting the best for those he loved. He had so much compassion for others. He never met a stranger, something my Dad inherited and passed down to me. He could talk to you about anything, but he also loved to listen. He always asked what was new in my life and would smile as I told him. He lived through his descendants in the end. 

I remember his dedication. From his infamous garden (he was known around town for his garden) to his daily Euchre games. He was the best Euchre player -- I’m so glad I was able to have him as my partner and learned from a legend. I remember seeing him every morning on his daily walk as I drove to school. And every time I see a sunflower, I am reminded of him, as his garden was lined in sunflowers he nurtured. 

When I think of my grandpa, I remember in the end when his sight was bad and I would drive him to his doctor’s appointments. I remember feeling inconvenienced at times but now, looking back, I wouldn’t have traded that responsibility for anything. After all the sacrifices he made for me, I was able to give back. To show that I cared. I had the pleasure of our talks on these drives and being a bright spot in his day.

When I think of my grampa, I remember going through photo albums of his Army days and listening to him talk for hours of his memories of Normandy and his WWII buddies. I remember on what turned out to be his last Veteran’s Day calling him and saying “Thank You” and how touched he was by that gesture.


When I think of my grampa, I remember a day about a month after he received his 6 months to live sentence, when I asked him if he was scared. I was supposed to see him the next week. He passed away 4 days later. Today, I am so thankful that our last conversation was one that let me know he was at peace, that he was okay.

When I think of my grampa, I remember his voice, and his accent. The way he would answer the phone, and the funny things he would say, like “davenport" (which is, apparently, a couch).

But mostly, I remember pride. Pride for his country, his service, his family. Pride for hard work and a job well done. Pride for being loyal, dependable, and true to your word. That’s what he’s given me. I learned the meaning of honorable pride from my grandfather and that’s what I carry with me everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS