Sunday, March 16, 2014

Reaching for your goals

Part of my 6-month journey of transforming my life involves life-coaching, which is right up my alley. I loved what I got out of my experience with counseling (which works on your past and why you are where you are) so it only seems natural that once I figured that out, I would look to the future. You have to keep growing. 

In my life coaching sessions, we discussed five goals that I want to reach in 2014. This life coaching has been so eye-opening because ordinarily I wouldn't know how to break these down. For instance, my goal of living on my own. I know that isn't something I'm going to entertain until at least the 2nd part of this year. So, I would have put that on the back burner. Now I know that everything can get smaller and smaller. My coach has given me exercises to break that down so that I can be doing something today, that will help be get there in 6 months.

It's such a brilliant concept. Breaking things down into little baby steps gradually takes you to the place you want to be but it just seems much more manageable. There are more opportunities for achievement as well. Instead of one giant hurdle every so often, I can experience little victories every day. This only fuels my desire and commitment to reaching my goal. I've almost become obsessed with it. I started with 5 major goals but I've ended up with several smaller goals. Anything I want to change or add to my life, I just make it a goal. With this method of breaking it down and asking questions, I know I can make any goal attainable. 

For example, one of my goals for this year was to travel. Once a quarter I want to travel, either on a legitimate vacation or at least a weekend getaway. So I made plans to go visit my cousins in Nashville this coming weekend. Goal met, right? No. Through a coaching session I realized that my goal can't be to just travel. If that were the case I would have met my goal the second I step off the airplane and that's no fun. My coach asked me to reflect on what my goals were for this trip. What did I want to experience while I was there? What needed to happen to make this the trip? 

Well, no matter where I was traveling to, my answer would be relatively the same. Nashville is not a new city, I've been there multiple times. But anywhere I travel, I want to see it through fresh eyes. I want to experience the culture. The hidden gems. I want to learn something about it and I want to make my mark on it. I want to become a part of that city. Part of the allure of traveling is the anonymity of it. I love being in a city where no one knows you, no one knows your there. It makes it truly care free. There's an exhilarating freedom about that. My specific goal for Nashville is that I have to see live music, which won't be hard at all. I love the culture of that city, I love the music scene and I can't wait to be a part of it. My other goal is to really notice how I act in that environment. Maybe learn a few things about how I live when I have nothing to lose. Try to see if I can bring a little bit of that back to my city, experience this city like I would if I didn't live here.

Take any goal, especially one that seems unattainable or far off in the distance, and ask questions about it. I start by asking "How?" or "Why?" or "What will this scenario look like when it is reached?" Then you start figuring out how you are going to get there. Where do you need to start? When you figure out the little things you can do now, each day or each week, you'll see progress leading you to that goal. Sometimes, this part of breaking it down is the hardest. I've been stuck on my relationship goal for a few weeks. I just haven't touched it. I'm supposed to be asking myself questions and creating an action plan but I don't know yet what the baby-step goals are. So this week my goal is to figure out that Relationship goal (haha!) and I'll be writing more later on what it is and how it plays a role in The Single Girl Project. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS