Saturday, January 25, 2014

Create

I have long been crafty. I just love making things with my hands, it's so fun and personal and unique. Growing up, I always loved making projects. When I taught elementary students, I would teach them a craft project when we had indoor recess. Once I learned to sew, I started making quilts and other projects. Now my grandma is teaching me how to knit. I am so excited to get better at it and the possibilities of what I can make. I can give hand made gifts to friends, I can make things myself for my home that are made of organic cotton and with love.

I've always been good at the crafty art, but I've never considered myself to be an "artist." Even my doodles look terrible. However, I have had the pleasure of attending multiple Wine Your Art Out events and I end up quite proud of myself when it actually turns out and looks like something. It's very fun to see it come together from start to finish. I learned that I really like painting. I like the movement of it and the process of it. I want to make more paintings that aren't necessarily of something but are instead reflective of feelings and emotions -- what is called Abstract art, I've learned.

Lucky for me, my best friend is not only an amazing artist, but an awesome teacher who happens to have her own art studio (that hosts Wine Your Art Out) So I called her up this week and went to paint at her studio. I loved it! It is so cool to lose yourself in a work of art, to see where it takes you and to watch what it turns into. It ended up a little different than what I initially pictured because of the fact that I let go and went with it. And I loved how it turned out, it's now one of my favorite pieces. It was inspired by someone else and will eventually be given to that person, but it has a little piece of me with it, which is awesome. It's a one of a kind. And for someone who never would have considered myself an artist, that is pretty cool. It's neat to think that I've created something one of a kind.

While I was painting, there was a little girl there also painting a project (I happened to have crashed an after school art class), and she commented that she loved my painting. I said "Really?!" and she said something like "Yes, why shouldn't I? All art is great because you're making it" It was very profound & wise for such a young student (she obviously has a great art teacher in Miss Anna!) But I guess that's why I love to create. It's your stamp and it can't go wrong. I think we all get caught up in all of these things that we have to do that we leave very little, if any, time for our hobbies or things we enjoy doing. Just for ourselves. I'm not saying you have to paint a masterpiece, or sew a quilt, or knit baby socks, but something where your hands are busy, your mind is free and where you can lose yourself in creating something.

Life is all about creating. And it starts with your hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS