Sunday, November 16, 2014

Help me remember

You know how sometimes in life you're just going through the motions -- not much is changing and you're just kind of...hanging out? And then there are times in life when you're surrounded by constant changes and you're just trying to maneuver the transition smoothly. You ride an excellent wave for awhile and then you hit some turbulence. Which I don't mind at all. C'est la vie. The ebb and flow of life. The turbulence is where life happens and when you discover what you're made of. I love coming out on the other side of that adversity. {and I'm pretty sure maneuvering any transition perfectly and smoothly is near impossible}

I am definitely going through one of those "transition" periods in my life right now. I try to focus on how exciting and promising it is and not on how exhausting or stressful it is. I use personal development methods to help me maneuver through change and to discover where I want my new paths to lead. I'm very independent and a bit on the introverted side so this level of solitude and personal discovery comes naturally to me. 

However, I was reminded this week how important it is to rely on your tribe from time to time. I'm lucky enough to have amazing friends to turn to and talk with. I know a lot about what stresses they have in their lives, what changes they are trying to find their way through. I offer a listening ear and typically try to coach them through a situation through useful advice. But I sometimes forget that I need those things, too.

I tend to seek out crossroads because I get bored easily and want challenge and excitement in life. They come to fruition because I intentionally seek them out and then once I'm standing at these crossroads, I don't know which way I want to go. I become incredibly indecisive when faced with too many options. {I mean, it's really scary that by picking one thing you're letting go of another! The risk of regret is high!}  

So, I had lunch with a friend early last week and was sharing with her my latest predicament. I forgot how great it is to talk things out. When you explain something to someone else, it forces you to get out of your own head. As we talked through it, I started to answer my own questions. When I'm mapping out how to achieve my goals, it becomes easy to focus on the day-to-day details. She reminded me to look at the bigger picture. Stopping to talk it out with her made me realize that while a certain choice may come with undesirable side effects in the short term, it's for the long term good. I would much rather endure a little short term pain for long term gain. I don't like to make time with my friends all about me so I was truly grateful to her for allowing me the time to break it down and come to some clarity. 

I spent the rest of the day feeling a little more sure of my decision and a little less stressed. Some doubt still remained, but I was definitely more confident and tuned into my gut and heart strings than I was before our conversation. Later that night, I got a phone call from one of my good friends back home in California. It was so great to catch up in general and I briefed her on where I was in life. We didn't have a lot of time for me to go into the details of my crossroads, which made what she said at the end of our conversation even more powerful. It's hard to write about because I can't go into detail yet on my blog {but soon I will! after a few more ducks are in a row I will share some news with you!} But, she just said, very matter-of-factly, "Meg, you just need to do x, y, z." What she didn't know is that x, y, and z are exactly what I have in the works! Talk about a sign from the universe. Any doubt that I had about whether I was making the right decision, any fear of regret at not choosing another route all disappeared with her comment. 

I struggle with pride. I don't like to make things all about me or ask for help. If I'm working through a decision regarding my next steps, I really like to do it in my own world. So my point here is that it is okay to break out of that once in awhile. Talk it out. Bounce your thoughts off of some of your trusted friends. Achieve some clarity. Chances are that just talking it out will help make your choice more obvious. When others give advice, you will feel in your gut whether you agree with it or not -- let that guide your decision. When you ask for help, you'll remember where your heart is. 

The friend I had lunch with last week sent me this note, reminding me that I can succeed, that I have the power to make the decisions that form the life I want. She comforted me by saying that, no matter what, she will always believe in me. Hopefully this helps you remember, too.

"Formulate and stamp indelibly on your mind a mental picture of yourself as succeeding. Hold this picture tenaciously. Never permit it to fade. Your mind will seek to develop the picture."
--Norman Vincent Peale, author

I will always believe in you! Never give up!

Every once in awhile, we all need encouraged to Never Give Up. 
Believe in yourself. Trust your intuition. Follow your heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS